Research papers Prof Chris Oliver
- ResearchGate Listing all publications, mostly free full texts.
- Google Scholar
- Edinburgh University Research Explorer
- Wikipedia page
- Cycling research; papers, presentations, posters and projects ResearchGate >55k paper page views.
- Historical orthopaedic and general teaching SlideShare >175k views.
Media featuring Prof Chris Oliver
- Edinburgh’s roads blasted as being in a ‘shocking state of disrepair’ as Pothole Pete rides again for National Pothole Day. Edinburgh Evening News. 15th January 2020.
- Mid-Life Re-Life Blueprint – Beyond Keto Summit. Global Speaker Interveiw. 16th December 2018. Summit runs 29th January – 2nd Febuary 2020.
- Bringing Back The Beauty: Historic Fife fishing boat to be restored in the East Neuk. The Courier 7th December 2019.
- Appeal launched to bring back beauty of historic fishing boat as she returns to Fife. Scotsman 6th December 2019.
- 1: There’s parking in cycle lanes and there’s parking in cycle lanes. 2: Jeremy Vine has passed comment on the car parked in a cycle lane we posted earlier. Road.cc 21st November 2019.
- Careers in Sports and Exercise Medicine. Royal Medical Society. Edinburgh. Edinburgh Sports and Exercise Medicine Society. 18th November 2019.
- Lessons learnt from being a cycle campaigner. Pecha Kucha, Cycling UK Scotland AGM. 8th November 2019.
- How physically active are you meant to be? Scottish Men’s Shed Association Newsletter. 6th November 2019
- Is Twitter a good platform for cyclists? Pedal and Tring, Tring Blog. India. 31st October 2019.
- Weight change across adulthood in relation to all cause andcause specific mortality. Good Morning Scotland BBC Radio Scotland 18th October 2019.
- Edinburgh cycling campaigner @CyclingSurgeon calls for 20mph speed limit to protect riders — and gets a sadly predictable response from readers of the newspaper which published his appeal. Twitter by Jeremy Vine. 30th September 2019
- Edinburgh cycling campaigner’s call for 20mph speed limit to protect riders gets a sadly predictable response from newspaper’s readers. road.cc 30th September 2019
- Evening News readers respond to a cyclist’s hard-hitting views on safety. Edinburgh Evening News. 30th September 2019
- Lower road speeds can help to save more cyclists’ lives – Prof Chris Oliver. Invited Platform opinion. Edinburgh Evening News. 30th September 2019.
- Medical issues surrounding vibration exposure & chronic pain. Plenary lecture. 54th UK Conference on Human Vibration. Edinburgh Napier University. 24th September 2019
- Helen McArdle: We thought medicine was quite clean of fake news. The Herald. 18th September 2019
- Science journals encouraging ‘fake news’ by distorting clinical trial results, says professor. The Herald. 16th September 2019
- Now you see it… Prof Chris Oliver’s King James IV, Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh professorial lecture in SurgeonsNews. 1st September 2019. Pages 28-32 ResearchGate store (free) with references.
- Poor road surfaces expose cyclists to vibration-related injuries, research finds. Road.cc 28th August 2019
- Cyclists: Uneven roads and potholes are causing back pain, nerve damage and spinal problems. Transport Research Institute Blog, Edinburgh Napier University. 27th August 2019
- Cyclists: Why uneven roads and potholes are endangering your health. The Herald. 26th August 2019
- Smugling og fiskiskapur partur av søguni. Faroes television. 20th August 2019
- Tenement bike storage traumas tackled – Edinburgh Napier Transport Research Institute Blog. 27th July 2019
- Edinburgh tram tracks held to be direct cause of injury to cyclists. Weightmans Solicitors News. 5th July 2019
- Edinburgh cyclists win damages over injuries caused by tram tracks. The Guardian. 28th June 2019
- Cyclists win first two cases following Edinburgh tram track falls. Road.cc. 28th June 2019.
- Andy Murray’s return to tennis with his resurfacing hip replacement; role of hip replacement surgery, possible complications and expected outcomes. Call Kaye. BBC Radio Scotland. 25th June 2019.
- Leading on the Frontline: Surgery #CivilServiceLive. Transformative Leadership. Presentation to UK Civil Service at Edinburgh International Conference Centre. Edinburgh 4th June 2019
- Plea for speed limit reductions to help save lives of cyclists. The National. 26th May 2019.
- Cyclist sues Edinburgh Trams and city council after tram track fall – and more cases could follow if she wins Road.cc 17th May 2019
- Scottish government tells campaigners it won’t back default 20mph speed limit. Road.cc 14th May 2019
- Scottish Government refuses to back nationwide 20mph speed limits in built-up areas. The Scotsman. 14th May 2019
- Amsterdam-style cycling could transform Scotland – Alastair Dalton. The Scotsman. 10th May 2019.
- Event highlights plans for shared path in Fife. Fife Today 10th May 2019
- With a climate emergency what is needed in urban transport is transformational change – nothing less. Transport Research Institute blog with Prof Adrian Davis. 9th May 2019
- Scotland needs to invest in active travel to help tackle climate emergency, urge professors. Road.cc blog. 8th May 2019
- How cycling can transform Scotland’s cities. Opinion Platform by Profs Adrian Davis and Chris Oliver. The Scotsman. Edinburgh Evening News. ResearchGate (pdf file). 8th May 2019
- Wee unicorns got on their bikes today. Edinburgh Reporter. 22nd March 2019
- Improving data visualisation, information and knowledge transfer for surgeons. The Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh King James IV Professorial Lecture. Product Forge Hackathon. Edinburgh. Lecture 22nd Feb 2019. Prof Chris Oliver mentored teams during the Product Forge Digital Health Hackathon and one of the teams mentored ScalPal won the overall first team place at the event.
- Chris Oliver appointed Associate Research Fellow at TRI. Transport Research Institute Edinburgh Napier University Blog. 5th Feb 2019.
- A student partnership project to enhance curriculum development in medical education. Teaching Matters, University of Edinburgh Blog. 4th Feb 2019.
- CycleLaw Scotland’s Tandem Challenge raises funds for Scottish Air Ambulance whilst fostering trust, teamwork and communication. CycleLaw Press Release. 23rd January 2019.
- Social media activity at ISPAH 2018: running to keep up. British Journal of Sports Medicine Blog. 26th November 2018.
- Digital Health Product Forge promotion. Digital Health Product Forge Twitter video. 23rd November 2018.
- Engage the press. A media workshop for NGOs. Edinburgh University. Media Training/Refresh. 13th November 2018.
- Calls for cycle lanes on roads to Sheriffhall. MidLothian Advertiser 9th November 2018.
- Teaching physical activity in the medical curriculum; evaluation of a flipped classroom approach. Scottish Physical Activity Research Collaboration Conference 2018. Edinburgh. Poster 7th November 2018.
- Finding a new gear: is Edinburgh ready for its new cycle hire scheme? The Student Newspaper. 5th November 2018.
- The truth is out there: who makes and influences health news on social media in the UK and internationally Scot Public Health Blog with Dr Graham MacKenzie Full paper. 1st November 2018.
- Australia’s Mandatory Helmet Laws. Bicycle Network Position Paper. Prof Chris Oliver Expert Opinion 31st October 2018.
- Campaigners press for cycle lanes on roads to Sheriffhall. Scotsman/Edinburgh Evening News. 31st October 2018.
- How not to be a surgeon. Anstruther Improvements Association (AIA).. 20th September 2018.
- Longevity – How long might I live? Qube Inspiration workshop leader. 20th September 2018.
- Smoking in bothies, public health impact. BBC Radio Scotland Jackie Brambles. 19th Sept 2018.
- Cycle Safety and Edinburgh Just Eat Cycle Hire Scheme. STV News. 17th September 2018.
- Outlander boat Reaper needs another £25k to keep seaworthy. Scotland on Sunday (Scotsman). 16th September 2018.
- Julian M. Bruner Best Poster Award Overall Winner Annual Meeting American Society for Surgery of the Hand (ASSH) 2018. 73rd Annual Meeting – Long-term outcome following early percutaneous screw fixation of acute scaphoid fractures. Boston, USA. September 15th 2018.
- A study of cyclists’ hand-arm vibration exposure. UK Conference on Human Responses to Vibration 2018. Ascot UK. September 14th 2018.
- First pedestrian killed by Edinburgh tram. Daily Express. 11th September 2018.
- Doctors’ and nurses’ weight-loss secrets. Success Stories. Healthy Food Guide. September 2018.
- Cycling, Obesity, Triathlon Training. BBC2 Scotland Adventure Show. 26th August 2018.
- Massive Weight Loss. BBC Radio Scotland with Tom Urie. 24th August 2018.
- Meet the former surgeon taking on Prudential RideLondon. London Evening News 10th July 2018.
- Play Together on Pedals helps families get pedal ready! CyclingUK Scot press release. 16th June 2018.
- Chris Oliver. From destination hopping orthopaedic surgeon to fitness professor. British Medical Journal Careers, Curriculum Vitae. 30th May 2018.
- Obesity Update Scotland. Obesity Action Campaign Meeting, Guy’s & St Thomas’ Conference Series, London. Speaker Slides. 25th May 2018.
- Childhood Obesity. BBC RadioScotland. Stephen Jardine Programme. 2nd May 2018.
- Green MSP Mark Ruskell bids to cut national speed limit in Scotland from 30mph to 20mph. Herald Scotland 30th April 2018.
- Editorial: There is too much traffic for Alex to walk to school, so we drive: a call to action based on a 42-year trend. British Journal of Sports Medicine 9th April 2018.BBC Good Morning Radio Scotland
BBC Radio Scotland Radio Call Kaye
European Cycling Federation
BBC Reporting Scotland Midday and Evening News TV – Video
Good Morning Ulster BBC Radio
Edinburgh Napier University
- Letter to UK Transport ministers: There is too much traffic for Alex to walk to school, so we drive: a call to action based on a 42-year trend. British Journal of Sports Medicine 9th April 2018.
- Physical Activity and wearable tech; Is it reliable? Tech meets health: Is digital technology the answer to our NHS crisis? Global Health Society – University of Edinburgh. Speaker. April 3rd 2018.
- NHS at 70: Celebrating a revolution in Scotland’s healthcare. 70 NHS doctors from 70 years. Prof Chris Oliver Innovator in Healthcare and NHS. 2nd April 2018.
- The Tenth Step. Scottish Premier of film. Thunder Dragon Fund. University of Edinburgh. Chairman. 29th March 2018.
- Healthy Workers, Happy Team: Promoting Positive Lifestyle Change. Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, Triennial Conference. Speaker. 23rd March 2018.
- Cycling, Health & Longevity Cycling to public health event in Edinburgh. Cycling UK Press briefing & Speaker. 22nd March 2018.
- How will we make activities that enhance levels of healthy ageing and well-being more engaging and accessible to people from mid-life and beyond? NHS Scotland Innovation Event. Health Ageing. Queen Margaret University. Plenary speaker. 14th March 2018.
- Cycling can boost immune system, scientists find. Scotsman Expert Comment. 8th March 2018.
- Roll out of 20mph all across Edinburgh STV Evening News 5th March 2018.
- The Obesity Problem: diabetes and millennials. Call Kaye BBC Radio Scotland. 27th Feb 2018.
- Social network analysis to study health topics on Twitter Scottish Social Network Analysis Group. Edinburgh University. Speaker. 30th Jan 2018.
- 200 cyclists killed or injured by city trams in Edinburgh. Herald Scotland. 30th Jan 2018.
- Nearly 200 cyclists ‘hurt in Edinburgh tram line crashes’. STV News. 30th Jan 2018.
- Cyclists’ Tram Injuries put ‘burden’ on health service. Edinburgh Evening News/Scotsman. 30th Jan 2018.
- Breastfeeding app and GPs’ real time analytics platform share hackathon win. FutureScot Blog. 30 Jan 2018.
- Hackathon tackles childhood obesity, substance abuse, and mental health. FutureScot Blog. 27 Jan 2018.
- SHIL partners with Product Forge to drive healthcare innovation. SHIL. 25th Jan 2018.
- I lost 15 stone to save my life but could’nt save my job. Sunday Post. 14th Jan 2018. p 20.
- An expression of the community brought together by music. East Fife Mail. 10th Jan 2018.
- The thriving music scene in the East Neuk of Fife BBC Radio Scotland, Janice Forsyth Show with live music. iPlayer 4th Jan 2018.
- Cycling in Chile: against all odds. Saddle Skedaddle Blog 17th December 2017.
- Scotland’s Health is not improving. Commenting on Audit Scotland Report 2017 on NHS Scotland. BBC Radio Scotland News.BBC Reporting Scotland Evening News iPlayer at 03:17 26th Oct 2017.
- Cyclists risk permanent nerve damage from bumpy roads, study finds. CanTech Newsletter. The Very Best of Canadian Science and Technology. 17th Oct 2017.
- Cyclists risk nerve damage from uneven street surfaces Various Media Scotsman on Sunday, Edinburgh Evening News, Road.cc, Cycling Weekly. 8th Oct 2017.
- Cosmetic red cycle lanes for Edinburgh tramlines to help protect cyclists. BBC Reporting Scotland Evening News. 29th Sept 2017.
- In the frame: Bespoke Bikes Brummell Magazine 27th Sept 2017.
- Pilates has a role in Health Promotion – 1st International Pilates Gathering. Plenary speaker. Royal College Surgeons of Edinburgh. 23rd Sept 2017.
- Implementing Policy for Physical Activity and the International Futures Forum – Scottish Collaboration Public Health and Research Policy (SCPHRP) summer blog 12 September 2017.
- The Road to Fitness – Surgeons News eZine. Royal College Surgeons Edinburgh. September 2017 page 34-35.
- Smoking in Scotland within 15 meters of hospital buildings to be a crime. BBC Radio Scotland Kaye Adams Programme 15th August 2017.
- Statins warning:: Heart medicine pills ‘do more harm than good’ Daily Express 14th July 2017.
- Edinburgh Tram tracks must be moved to protect cyclists claims surgeon. Scotsman/Edinburgh Evening News 16th June 2017.
- Edinburgh Cyclists’ Tram Injuries, Lecture at Edinburgh Festival of Cycling 12th June 2017.
- Edinburgh Cyclist Tram Fatality Scotsman, BBC, STV, Herald. Road.cc TransportXtra 1st June 2017.
- Rocket Pitch: A more active Lothian. NHS Lothian Health Board Development session. Presenter. 17th May 2017.
- FutureHealth meeting with Chief Medical Officer for Scotland to showcase and plan future of Future Health Product Forge Health Innovation Hackathon . Meeting Chairman. 4th May 2017.
- Edinburgh Close Pass Trial, making cycling safer? BBC Radio Scotland John Beattie Show. April 24th 2017.
- UkActive Promising Practice Physical Activity Roadshow. Oriam Edinburgh. Speaker; Promising Physical Activity Projects in Scotland. Storify April 3rd 2017.
- Edinburgh tram track injuries cost NHS more than £1m. BBC Radio Scotland & News. Scotsman. The Times. Road.cc March 17th 2017.
- Cycling to physical activity – from couch potato consultant to endurance athlete. Guest Lecture invited by Obesity Action Campaign. St Thomas’s Hospital London. 10th March 2017.
- Add 7 years to your life by using outdoor gym equipment. Fresh Air Fitness. 5th March 2017.
- Prof Chris Oliver opens David Dunn outdoor fitness trail in Bonnyrigg, Midlothian. Midlothian View 5th March 2017.
- Scandi Health Lessons – Living the Swede Life. Daily Mail. 12th February 2017.
- Doctors warning on health crisis – We’re too obese. And too late to do anything about it. Sunday Mail. 5th February 2017.
- Time to get tough to tackle obesity. BBC Radio Scotland Call Kaye Programme. January 24th 2017.
- Physical activity in children and young people, is too much exercise dangerous? BBC Radio Scotland Stephen Jardine Programme. 6th January 2017.
- The Medal Myth – Scotland Investigates BBC One Scotland 2nd January 2017.
- Retirement of Sir Bradley Wiggins from cycling BBC Radio London Niki Bedi Programme 29 Dec 2016.
- Chair of Cycling UK in Scotland examines whether it is safe to wear headphones while riding a bike. Road.cc 27 Dec 2016
- Should cyclists wear headphones? BBC Radio London, Eddie Nestor Drivetime Programme. 7 Dec 2016.
- Cycling Injuries and Fractures BBC Radio Scotland. Stephen Jardine Programme. 25 Nov 2016.
- Big Fat Fix. Edinburgh Film Premiere with Dr Aseem Malhotra. Hosted by University of Edinburgh Medical School. Chairman 20 October 2016.
- Cycling and the Law. Cycle Law. Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh. Chairman. 23 Aug 2016.
- Top doctor issues warning as intrepid fundraisers put burden on NHS. Sunday Post. 15 Aug 2016.
- Cycling and Health. Spokes, The Lothian Cycle Campaign. Public Debate, Edinburgh. 13 Jun 2016.
- Gastric Band Surgery: a too easy fix? BBC Radio Scotland Call Kaye. 31 May 2016.
- Scottish government should redirect funding from roads to walking and cycling. Ramblers Scotland. 22nd Feb 2016.
- Car Sick, BBC Scotland Investigates, BBC One Scotland. 17th January 2016.
- Why should healthcare workers consider using Twitter? Faculty of Healthcare Leadership and Management meeting Glasgow. 12th August 2016.
- Weight Loss Surgery, The Kaye Adams Programme, BBC Radio Scotland. December 2015.
- Just Noise? Bulletin of Royal College Surgeons England. September 2015.
- Tramwaj w Edynburgu postrachem rowerzystów. Transport Publicny. 12 April 2015
- Cyclists to sue Edinburgh over tramline accidents, The Scotsman. January 2015.
- Can Bike Riding Up Prostate Risk?, HealthDay (syndicated). July 2014.
- Amazing Loser – Chris Oliver, Man v Fat. October 2014.
- On yer bike! Get involved at the Edinburgh Festival of Cycling, STV News. June 2014.
- Graves made bigger to cope with chubby corpses. Edinburgh Evening News. 9th Nov 2013
- Scots MSPs support cycle safety as minister keeps open presumed liability debate. CTC News 31st Oct 2013.
- Jon Snow, CTC President and newscaster, chairs Cycling Scotland Conference, CTC. September 2013.
- From Los Angeles to Boston: an epic ride across the United States, The Guardian. July 2013.
- The Day I Changed My Life, BBC Radio Scotland. July 2013.
- The Adventure Show, BBC Two Scotland. April 2013.
- Inspirational Journeys: A Bike Ride Across America, Virgin Atlantic. August 2013.
- Compulsory bike helmets on charity rides is the ‘thin end of the wedge’, The Guardian. March 2013.
- Cycle helmet laws should be backed by evidence, STV News. 2013.
- Surgeons in Scotland debate the helmet issue – do they increase cyclists’ safety or not?, Road.cc. February 2013.
- Driver who killed two cyclists avoids life ban and jail term, The Times. September 2013.
- The ‘Cycling Surgeon’ and his daughter cross the US for WaterAid, CTC. June 2013.
- Cycling surgeon ready for slice of American pie, The Scotsman. April 2013.
- What would be a fitting legacy of Chris Hoy’s Olympic success?, STV News. 2012.
- Wiggins effect is boost to cycling in Scotland, The Herald. July 2012.
- Pedal on Parliament, Newsnight Scotland, BBC Two Scotland. June 2012.
- Safe cycling campaign pedals to Scottish parliament. The Gaurdian. 21st March 2012
- Tipping the scales: Edinburgh surgeon fights off ‘super-obesity’, The Scotsman. April 2011.
- All of Scotland’s rivers at once: kayaking the Sun Kosi, Caledonian Mercury. 2010.
- Time to get tougher on obesity?, BBC News. September 2009.
- Banding is not the easiest fix, Daily Express. June 2008.